Sunday, July 21, 2013

CHALLENGE SUSTAINED!!!

There will be a new election because of violations by CVE President Jennefer Porch:

1. She turned over confidential union communications of co-candidate Manuel Yvellez to Superintendent Escobedo who subsequently sent out an email suggesting that Mr. Yvellez violated District policy. I did not.

2. She personally handled unsecured election ballots, violating the integrity of the election process.

Giving Ms. Porch every benefit of the doubt of such actions, which she admitted only after confronted with the evidence, these actions show that Ms. Porch just does not have the correct instincts to represent members.

In the same way that I presented the laws and evidence to successfully challenge the election, I hope to defend the rights of teachers in the following ways:

• If elected, I will file a grievance on behalf of the membership for being required to work beyond the 6 hours and 15 minutes provided in the contract. I will seek payment for the hours of overtime worked by teachers for years.

• If elected, I will file either a grievance or unfair practice charge to force the District to meaningfully consult with the union regarding curricular changes such as the ad hoc implementation of teaching to the vague common core standards. I will prevent the District forcing teachers to develop curriculum on the fly. And I will demand on behalf of the membership that a professional new curriculum be officially adopted before any drastic changes are made.

• If elected, I will fight against the irrational use of test scores in what I consider secondary evaluations of effectiveness that are not provided for in the contract.

• If elected, I will fight to have every teacher on a path to tenure. Dedicated teachers who have proven themselves deserve the security of due process.

I want to protect teachers and their families from the stress of meeting unreasonable demands by the District. I want to have teachers be recognized as professionals who know what works and what does not work in the classroom. I want teachers to be happy in their work so they may sustain teaching with the patience and love our students need and deserve. YOU can help me achieve these goals by giving me your confidence to be your next CVE President. I am humbled by the great amount of support I have received, and I will do my best not to let you down.

Manuel Yvellez
Let Teachers Teach

No comments:

Post a Comment